The 'Day'

My 1 year old just knocked all my cute little decorations off the end table again, then yelled, "Bye-Bye!" and locked himself in my bedroom. My 6 month old just rolled himself over onto his belly, giggled for about 0.5 seconds and then started screaming. I haven't showered, I'm thirsty, and I am probably hungry... but I haven't noticed yet, and I still need to finish start some laundry. We have already been wearing the same clothes since yesterday, and who knows how long it's been since I washed our bedding or towels. I just remembered I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer to thaw for dinner, and my husband will be home in an hour from work and will need something to eat before he leaves again for class. Is it nap time yet?  I just stepped in something sticky. There goes my baby screaming again. Whew! just missed tripping over that toy, oh, and I hear another "Bye-Bye!"

 Life is hard. Being a mom is hard. Being a wife is hard. Most days, I find myself thinking "I just need to make it through the day." or "Bed time is in 3 hours and then I can relax." Recently, I have had an epiphany. I have these thoughts because I choose to. I look forward to the end of the day, rather than enjoy the moment I am in right now, and what kind of living is that? My sweet boys are such a joy and it is an honor and privilege to be their mother. I need to stop and enjoy the little things, soak in my babies sweet smiles, giggles and yes, even the screams and tears. I have already felt the sting of how quickly they grow up, it truly feels like I just found out I was pregnant for the first time. I don't want to look back and realize I spent all this time just looking forward to it all being over. That's what I want this blog to be about. Learning ways to joyfully spend the day, to enjoy this crazy thing called motherhood and be the very best mom I can be. To make sure I take time to do things that I enjoy, as well as spend quality time with my children and husband. I want my kids to look back and think of me as being a kind, joyful mom who could remain calm and collected when things got crazy; I want my husband to look at me, and our family, and be anxious to get home to us each day. I want to grow in my relationship with the Lord, my husband, my kids and my friends. I have been journaling and taking notes on ways to make my days more organized and enjoyable, while not feeling like a frumpy, out of control mess. I hope you will stick with me as I navigate through this adventure I am on, I will be posting lots of DIY and crafts as well as (hopefully) helpful tips on enjoying your day, rather than surviving it...and I hope to share a few laughs along the way. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Brook your young life reminds me of mine about 13 years ago.:-) Newly married with three small children. Struggling to be super mom and super wife on a daily basis.I succeeded some days and fell.flat on my face other days. Matt worked and went to school and was even deployed for 13 mo with in the first 5 years of marriage. Leaving me with 3 kids under the age of 5 and really on my own. I still don't know how I made it through. Only by the grave of God did I survive those days. It is a struggle but also one of the greatest joys. I know you can do it. :-) Loved reading your blog. I will try to fallow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I SO remember the days of having 2 kids under 2...not so long ago! I believe that stage is called SURVIVAL!! :) It DOES get better. You are right-the key is our attitutes! How true it is that as the woman of the home our attitude really does set the stage for others' attitudes too! I LOVE how you always try to be thankful and find the positive!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!