Grandpa





*This is the Eulogy I wrote to read at My Grandpa's memorial service. He passed away at the age of 95, on January 1st, 2017*

Robert Warren Rogers was called Bob by many, but the lucky ones got to call him Grandpa.

Grandpa was the kindest and sweetest man you could ever meet. I really mean that. I honestly do not think it is possible to know anyone sweeter than him. My mom keeps saying, “To know him was to love him.” That is absolutely true, but what may be even more telling of his character is to say, “To know him was to BE loved by him.” He made every person he came in contact with feel special, appreciated and valued. When you were engaged in conversation with him, he was focused on you and nothing else; in that moment, you were his top priority and he was a really good listener (as long as his hearing aids were turned up).

When I was in middle school, Grandpa came to live with us. I remember when he first moved in, my parents were working on getting their garage converted into an apartment for him. During that time, he stayed in my room and I bunked with my sister. He felt bad about taking over my room, and he thought he was putting me out. He kept suggesting that he would sleep on the floor in the freezing garage until his apartment was built. Of course, we didn’t let him do that, but it’s just one thing that I have always remembered, an example of his kindness. 

Grandpa liked to watch the news and sports, but he would never turn the TV off when they were over; he just left it on, even when he wasn’t watching. When I was a kid, I always thought it was so scandalous when I would go into his room and see that he had daytime soap operas on.

There were many things important to Grandpa, one thing that mattered a lot to him was a good, firm handshake. While he was living with us, he would judge any boy my sister or I introduced him to based on his handshake. He was always very impressed with those we brought home; what he didn’t know is that we warned everyone about the handshake before they met. 

Grandpa was a giver, anytime we went anywhere or did anything, he was always trying to shove money in one of our hands. He tried to make it seem like you were doing him a favor because he “Needed to break a 20." Also, for every time I had to remind him to put his seat belt on, he would give me a quarter. I got a lot of quarters.

I used to drive him to Winco to do his grocery shopping; he would return his pop cans while I bought his groceries. His list always looked the same. He would write the items he wanted, and the exact amount each item would cost. After writing his list and tallying up the total, he would go back and make sure he included something for everyone at home: a candy bar for dad, Shasta cola for me, donuts for Bre and something with blueberries for mom. And he always made sure he was stocked up on winter green life savers because my sister Bre and I would steal them from his pockets during church.

Grandpa was funny, when he sneezed he would say, “Bless me!” and he would often randomly say, “Too bad, so sad, your dad.” I still don’t get that one, but he thought it was hilarious so I always laughed too.

He was such a good friend to everyone, a loving husband to my Grandma, a caring and understanding Grandfather and a wonderful father to my mom and aunt. I know, without a doubt, that he would have done absolutely anything for them. 

Some of us will particularly miss having conversations with Grandpa, some will miss fishing with him, other’s will miss his stories and showing of his coin and stamp collections. We will all miss his smile and laugh, and the way he said “I love you.” Personally, what I will miss the most is how excited he always was to see us. Whether it was when he lived with us and saw us every day, or when our visits were further apart, his face lit up when one of his family members entered the room. He wanted to be with us; we were important to him and he loved us. I have never seen anyone get the same genuine excitement and twinkle in their eye every single time they saw me, like Grandpa did.

On New Year’s Day, Grandpa saw Jesus’ face for the first time. He got to see the same look that he always gave to us; Jesus, the son of God, was happy to see him. 

We love and miss Grandpa dearly, but right now, in this moment, he is home. He is in glory with the One who created him, and standing a long side of those who went before him. (He is probably also fishing, eating ice cream, and watching baseball.)

I am thankful for the hope I have, and today I celebrate that I will see Grandpa again. He will have a new body that will never fail him and he will take me fishing.

Even if we all live to be 95 or even 105, this life is still nothing but a vapor in the wind, the blink of an eye, a speck compared to eternity. 

If you have accepted Christ as your Lord and savior, you will get to see Grandpa again! And don't you know it, he will be SO excited to see you!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!