Toddlers Are Puppies Too



I had a puppy once and I hated it. The only time I liked him is when he would bark at our creepy neighbors; he was kinda cute sometimes, but mostly, I hated having a puppy. (I know, I'm the only one in the world who doesn't like puppies and my heart is probably made of ice.) He ruined my nice things, refused to poo outside, woke me up a million times a night and would never leave me alone. He would run away sometimes and I would secretly hope he wouldn't come back, I'm kind of an awful person. Eventually, when I found out I was pregnant, we gave him away and all was right with the world once again. I'm sure not all puppies are as bad as our little terror was and if we knew what we were doing, maybe we could have trained him better, but even so, puppies and I don't get along.
Today, while sitting in the living room with the windows open, I realized something. If my neighbors or passers by didn't know that I had two toddlers, then just from listening to the things I say, they would probably think I was talking to puppies all day long.
Things like: Come here! Get down! Don't drink the bath water! Go get the ball! Don't jump on the furniture! Stop chewing on that! Stay there! Are you hungry? Do you need to go potty? Good job, buddy! 
I could not stop laughing as it occurred to me that toddlers are a lot like puppies. 

Let me count the ways:


1.You cannot take your eyes off of them
2.They follow you wherever you go...even to the bathroom.
3. They wake you up in the middle of the night.
4. They must be potty trained and are given treats as incentives.
5. They put everything in their mouth.
6. They always want to sleep in your bed.
7. They like to hide things, like the remote control or your car keys.
8. They climb all over you like you're a jungle gym.
9. They get really excited when someone is at the door.
10. They sit by you while you're eating, begging for bites.
11. They get into everything.
12. They are expensive and require lots of vaccinations.
13. They lack independence and need you to do everything for them.
14. They like to get right in your face.
15. They love to go after things and bring them back to you, i.e., fetch. 


"Look Mama, I'm a puppy! Ruff, ruff!"
I could go on and on, but I will stop there. I have friends who have told me that their dog is practically the same thing as a kid; I have always rolled my eyes at this, thinking you can't even compare the two, but I guess that's not true since I just did. Still though, as much as toddlers and puppies have in common, they have plenty that separate them as well. Although being a mother is hard work, I adore my little "puppies" and will do anything in my power to keep them safe, clean, fed and of course, if and when they run away from me, I chase them with all I have.


Currently, I have a deal with my hubby that if he agrees to letting us move back to my hometown, we can get a dog. Here's hoping that we can adopt an adult dog, because I'm not ready to have another baby yet, especially one that I know will (mutually) dislike me.

 'Like' Stay Home Mama on Facebook.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!